Community Development for Freefall Tournament

Most games I have seen like Unreal Tournament have done well with Community Development.
Why Community Development for Freefall Tournament

Y8 development: years or months
Y8 and Community: weeks or days

even though Y8 owns the game, It wouldn’t hurt to make it a community developed game, they could be like stressed out finding bugs on unity webgl. With the community involved it’s like committing pull requests on GitHub and the devs review, merge or delete a branch in the repository

The graphics of the game wasn’t the same when it was at F.R.G. Most games today like Skyrim on steam, you can see modded content like the graphics looks really good and better than what Bethesda did for EOS online.

Most browser shooters today are switching to community development because this generation of a teen or young adult programmers is advancing in there skill level than Blizzard entertainment.

Some gamers today make amazing 3d models. If this was a community developed game, everyone would show how creative they are.

So some of my friends in the Freefall tournament discord server have been saying that it lags, lots of bugs and other kinds of stuff to choose from.

One problem I saw was when Freefall tournament came out from Y8 development the game on my computer was very slow at first, when it was not owned by Y8, I would run the game at very low graphics up to 190 Frames per second, right now the low graphics settings make my computer down to 3-5 frames per second. If this game was community developed, the graphics quality problem probably be fixed in 3 or 6 days, without community development probably 4 years or so.

So Y8 if you are reading this, the idea of it being community developed is the best option for bringing a dead game to life.

1 Like

oof the markdown link code isn’t working

o lol typed it incorrectly

Go on, finish the story about Unreal Tournament, when u mentioned it. In what shape is that game today?

Of course, if u are or know any Unity Webgl dev, feel free to say ur opinion how u would fix it.

1 Like

well, I know a couple that does unity and now he is working on a new game. Though my opinion for being a game developer is that you want the game to go down the path you want it to take. Though I am not an official developer myself and have my own game yet. I just think its important for the company, studio to listen to there community and might agree with what they say.

Well I just know this, I don’t exactly play UT, I just know it by history and how it started. I also sometimes look into the source code on the epic games GitHub organization to see any changes.

UT is a nice game, but has no players. Been in demo or beta for a really long time now, nothing better than FFT (with a difference that FFT is a browser game).

Promotion is the main thing here, in fact around 50% role only commercial plays regardless of quality. Not only with games, but many jobs. As u can assume, it is really costly as well.

This isn’t the issue at all. However, FFT has a very subjective players and no matter what changes are made, doesn’t mean it will be good for everyone. Other than that, these are all costs in term of time and money. If u think FFT was doing so great, why then FRG sold it?

FRG sold it because of that unity webgl is hard to port from a solid unity 3d game

And yes, in it’s current state of being a browser based hero shooter, there are browser based engines that allow you to port unity games to the playcanvas engine to develop a game in real time.

Unity webgl is a graphics library, playcanvas uses the advanced webgl engine.
https://playcanvas.com/

That’s not the truth. And agoaj is 100% capable of doing it.

In the discord server someone dm him and he said that webgl was hard to port and how y8 did look good

It’s not easy to port, but for sure it would be easier for him than our devs. Also, that’s not a reason why they sold it. Read up and u can scroll on forum as well, mentioned several times in my posts.

That does make sense, I think the discord chat they said that FRG was a 14 people dev team, I guess the game made them not able to pay for servers and other stuff I guess.

They do have a small team and as everyone else, they need money to live from.
FFT overall is not giving much in return, too young player base and poor market. Why would they spend more time and money on it, when they gonna be in minus because of it? And FFT is also not only game they had, same goes for us.

1 Like

True, some of them may have a family to support or just to support there life to live in this world that we are in

Y8 Games